Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Special Purposes

After Sam and Toby awoke from their naps today, Sam decided that he wanted a sugar cookie for snack. As we were sitting at the kitchen table eating, he looked right at me (with green sprinkles and icing on his lips) and said, "Ms. Allison, I have a special purpose!"

Oh Lord, I thought to myself. Here it comes. Another message from You to me via almost-four-year-old Sam. He must have learned at school today that everyone has a special purpose in life.

"What's your special purpose, Sam?" I asked him, curious as to what he would say.

"My special purpose it to have the choice to be good," he said.

"Oh," I said. "Well I'm glad you chose to be good today."

"Yeah," he said. And then I knew what would come next.

"Ms. Allison," he said with an inquisitive look on his face. "What's your special purpose?"

In that moment, I knew the Lord was sending me some encouragement. It's tough to give so much of myself all the time...and I've been feeling a little worn out lately. Sometimes I give so much and don't take time to refuel. Sometimes it's easy to forget what my special purpose is.

"Well, Sam," I said. "I have many special purposes...but one of them is to take care of children like you and Toby."

"Oh, yeah," he said. "I'm glad that's your special purpose!"

"Me too," I said.

What's your special purpose? Where does the passion in your heart come from? What talents has the Lord blessed you with? Where does He want you to use them?

Thanks for rocking my world daily, God. If this is how you use Sam, I can't wait to hear what Toby has to say when he starts talking!

No comments: