Friday, November 9, 2007

Change Your Attitude...

Sam and I had a tough time together this week. I've been teaching him that for inappropriate behavior (you know... tantrums, talking back to me, not listening, bad attitudes) there are consequences. When he starts to get into that mood where he's about to throw a fit, I tell him to change his attitude or ________ (insert consequence). On Wednesday he threw a fit because he didn't want to turn the TV off. So...I told him he needed to spend some time alone in his room and he woudn't be able to watch TV for the rest of the day while I was there. He went to his room, fell asleep, and awoke in a much better mood. A little later he said, "Ms. Allison. I changed my attitude. So that means I get to watch TV now." I said, "No, Sam. Even though you changed your behavior, you still have to deal with the consequences of your actions."

As soon as I explained that little tidbit to Sam, my own actions and their consequences popped into mind. Thanks, God. Way to keep me humble and remind me to heed my own warnings. That's not really what I was going for, but thanks for reminding me. See? God uses even the smallest and most simple little people to teach us (or remind us of) stuff. God rocks.

Liz was helping Sam put on his pull-up when she got home from work today (the boys had just gotten out of the bath) and Sam began to throw a fit. Liz spoke to him in a firm tone. He looked at her and said, "Mommy, I think you need to change your attitude."

I tried not to laugh.

No comments: