Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The "Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich"

I usually take the boys to a bookstore at least once each week. They play with the train tables and I browse magazines for new recipes. Everyone is happy for an hour or two.

Last time I took the boys to the bookstore, I ran across the latest issue of Taste of Home magazine. As I browsed through each page, I only found 4 recipes I liked. Instead of buying the entire (expensive) magazine, I took the cheap way out - I rounded up some scrap paper and a pen and copied the recipes by hand. Here's my favorite recipe I copied from the magazine:

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich


3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
2 tablespoons butter, softened

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Spread five slices of bread with the cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outsides of sandwiches. In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.

I made these sandwiches for lunch (twice) last time my family came to visit and everyone loved them. They're extremely easy and inexpensive to make. I bet you'll never make a boring grilled cheese sandwich ever again :)

No comments: