Wednesday, June 11, 2008

So Thankful...

I'm so thankful to have a job that allows for lots of flexibility in daily activities.

Once every two weeks or so, I bring the boys to my house to play and hang out. It's a nice change of scenery for them and they love playing with my cat and exploring. Bringing the boys to my house every once in a while allows me to multi-task. I'm able to take care of the boys and catch up on a few chores that don't get done earlier in the week.

After starting my day at 6am, taking care of the boys for 1o hours each day, going to the gym after work, cooking, entertaining guests at our house, and spending quality time with my husband, sometimes chores like laundry, vacuuming, and cleaning don't get done as often as they should. I'm so thankful to have a husband who willingly helps me around the house...but even with both of us working together, it's still hard to get everything done in the evenings. Our weekends are always crazy, so getting anything done on a Saturday or Sunday is nearly impossible.

With Aaron's crazy work schedule (his schedule rotates daily between 7am-4pm, 10am-7pm, and 11am-8pm), it's difficult to spend quality time together sometimes. On the days he works until 7 or 8pm, I'm almost ready to go to bed by the time he gets home and I don't want to spend the few hours we have together cleaning or doing laundry.

So, all that being said, bringing Sam and Toby to my house is a huge help for me. Not only am I taking care of the boys, but I'm also taking care of my household and, therefore, caring for my marriage and myself.

In just a few hours this morning, I have:

  • folded three loads of laundry while watching Sesame Street with the boys
  • ironed a heap of clothes that have been staring at me for weeks
  • unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher
  • cleaned the kitchen countertops and swept the floor
  • fed the boys lunch
  • prepared dinner for Aaron and myself tonight

I pray that even on the days when the boys aren't behaving as I wish they would, I would remember that I have the best (and one of the most important) jobs in the world. Boys will be boys (and 4-year-olds will be 4-year-olds!). It's important to take the bad days with the good ones...and journal every bit of it here so that one day, when the boys are taller than me and don't need me anymore, I can look back on the silly things they did as preschoolers and reminisce about the best job I've ever had.

No comments: