Thursday, September 18, 2008

Student Driver

Toby and I were on our way back from dropping Sam off at school this morning when I saw it:

A "Student Driver" car.

As I passed the white Ford Focus (adorned with the "Student Driver" teepee on top) in the right-hand lane on 3rd street, I glanced over to see a terrified teenage boy with a death-grip on the steering wheel and his hands at "10 and 2." I also saw a nervous instructor riding shotgun and two more teenagers giggling in the back seat.

Poor kid.

I felt kinda bad for him. I remember the days when my instructor made me drive on the most terrifying streets and interstate on-ramps in Charleston. I was a nervous wreck. I'm pretty sure I vowed never to drive again.

But those memories faded with time. And so will his.

If he thinks driving with the instructor is nerve-racking, he should wait until he goes to get his driver's license.

The Mean Police Officer-lady at the DMV (decked out in her snazzy navy-blue uniform, shiny gadgets, and clipboard) will get into the car and intimidate him by not saying "hello" (or any greeting at all for that matter). Then, she'll tell him to take a right turn out of the parking lot and he'll run over a curb for the first time in his life. When the time comes for him to show his parking skills, she'll tell him to "pull over" and find a place to park on the busy downtown street. She'll tell him to "move" because he has parked directly in front of a driveway. Then it will be time to put the emergency brake on...and he'll accidentally pop the hood instead.

For some unknown reason (pity, perhaps), Mean Police Officer-lady will allow him to pass the road-test on the first try and send him inside to pick up his license.

What? Me? That didn't happen to me. And even if it did, I would never admit it.

Keep practicing kid. And don't let Mean Police Officer-lady intimidate you.

No comments: