Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fowler Family Photography Contest #1

I bet you didn't know that Aaron and I are insanely competitive with one another.

Okay. Never mind. I bet you did know that.

Anyway, one of the subjects we've been most competitive about recently is who has more skills in the photography department.

Ever since I was a very little girl, I remember looking at professional photographs and thinking, "I'm gonna learn how to take pictures like that someday...". I started learning about photography at the age of 13 and fall deeper and deeper in love with it as the years pass. Taking a good photograph is the only artistic gift the Lord has blessed me with...and I'm okay with that.

Aaron is a million times more "artistic" than I am. He can draw. He can paint. He can sculpt. He can shade. He can pick out perfect color schemes. He can even take a good photograph every once in a while (but not quite as well as I can).

Aaron is a "jack of all trades." I'm only good at one.

I haven't mastered the art of photography, but I learn a lot from this guy and like to think I'm pretty good at it...or at least better at it than my husband is :)

Aaron and I have been talking about having a little "photography contest" for a few months now. After work yesterday, I proposed that he and I pay a visit to the beautiful Anne Springs Close Greenway by our house and throw down.

The rules are simple:

  • two Nikon cameras (a D70 for me, a D80 for Aaron)
  • two identical 50 millimeter lenses
  • one Gigabyte of memory per camera
  • no staged photos
  • all photos must be taken on the premises of the Greenway
  • only cropping and toning allowed when editing photos in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
You're responsible for settling the dispute of who the better photographer really is. Our photos will be anonymously mixed together and numbered 1 through 6. We need you to pick your 3 favorite photos and leave the numbers in a comment at the end of this post. Don't worry if you don't see your comment post immediately - there's a safety feature on Blogger that allows me to screen comments before they post to the "comments" section.

Can't figure out how to leave a comment? Send an e-mail to aafowler85@gmail.com with your 3 favorites listed.

PLEASE play along with us! Aaron said he didn't think anyone would respond. Let's prove him wrong :)

May the best photographer win...
(Click on each photo to get a better look)
(1)
(2)

(3)

(4)

(5) (6)

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my vote....#6 is the best of the bunch. #3 is a close second. Third best photo was tough, but I choose #4.

Walter said...

4,2,6

I hope I am not the only one to post, I don't want to be the one who settles it.

Hope all is well.

Michael said...

I liked, 1, 4, and 3.

Anonymous said...

I vote for 1, 3 and 4.

Kelly H. said...

My favorites are 2, 3, and 6. I'm no expert, but those are the ones that catch my eye.

alaterfriend said...

2,4,and 6. Best wishes

r&s

Anonymous said...

3,4,6

Unknown said...

3, 4 and 6

Because of Love said...

2, 4, 6

I almost picked 3 instead of 4.

Anonymous said...

1, 4, 6

Anonymous said...

3,4,6
Really hard to choose!!

Anonymous said...

1, 4, 6 are my favorites

Barbara said...

I would have to say 1, 4, 3

Dee Dee Hanagriff said...

#6 is my favorite, then #3, and lastly #1.

Can't wait to see who the winner is!

Hopeful said...

hi!! You guys are too funny! I like 1, 4, and 6.

Lisa said...

3,4,6. Can't wait to hear the results.

D said...

1, 2, 4.

1 has some interesting texture to it -- not too much of a focal point. But that works for this photo.

2 has good light, especially the highlights peeking around the tips of the leaves. Good use of an asymmetrical vignette to center the focus. I'd say it's the best of the bunch.

3 is a good shot, but the vignette is overdone. Plus, there aren't any true highlights, making it have a dark overtone. Up the contrast and brightness and take the vignette off the right side and you've got a great picture.

4 has a great "imperfect lineation" thing going for it. The rings don't match up, the wires coming up are moving in different directions. It gives the piece a feeling of flexibility and that this subject is "weathered," in a good way.

5 has an interesting idea behind it. But the direct angle doesn't do it for me. Perhaps if you got closer and took a shot at an angle where the names of the bride and groom where in focus and everyone else faded out.

6 - I like the idea of the barn in the background, but it feels a bit spread out. If you were closer to the dandelion and had it overlap over the barn a bit, I think it'd be a much better shot.

So there's my overblown critique. Hope it helps!

Anonymous said...

3,4,6

Dani Magestro said...

1,4 and 5!!

Anonymous said...

6, 4, 3

Anonymous said...

(Typed by Mrs. Allison)

"My favorite is that one." (pointing to number 4)

"My next favorite is...go back up...the one with the tree and the leaves." (number 2)

"My other favorite is that one with the dandelion. Mrs. Allison, if I saw that dandilion I would pick it out of the ground and blow it away..." (number 6)

"My very very favorite is the one where you look like a princess when you got married..." (Good thing Sean isn't in the competition! Aaron and I would both lose!)

Amanda said...

2, 3 and 6 are my favs!

Anonymous said...

3,4,1

Mike said...

1, 4, 6

Krystle said...

My vote is: #1, #3, and #6. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

2, 6, 3.

Anonymous said...

2,1,3

c.sipes said...

4,6,3...

Palmetto Teacher said...

#3, #6, #2 and in that order! I love #3! :) Good Luck! Hope I'm not too late!

Rita said...

2,4,5

Love 4 and 5 the best!!!!

Anonymous said...

1, 3, 4.
But not necessarily in that order.
:)

Anonymous said...

1,3 and 4 are my three favorites!

Jennica said...

I like 1, 2 and 4 the best. Those stuck out the most to me. What a fun competition!

Anonymous said...

2, 1, and 6