Monday, September 8, 2008

Our First Wedding Anniversary

Exactly one year ago today, I married you - the love of my life.

We promised to put God first in our lives, to be honest, faithful, and loving to each other, and to work through hard times together - even when we didn't know how or want to.

The past year has been a whirlwind, My Love. I can't believe twelve months have already passed since I saw you at the end of that aisle. I couldn't wait to get to you. I cried tears of joy, anticipation, and love as I walked closer and closer. All I needed was to be next to you.

As we stood before God, our family, and our friends, I said my vows:

I, Allison, take you, Aaron, to be my husband and today I choose you above all others. I promise to honor, respect, and encourage you. With Christ's leading, I will strive to fulfill my role as your helpmate. For as Christ is Head of His Church, so is the husband head of his wife. Aaron, I submit myself to you and will follow you as God leads. I promise to laugh with you in good times, cry with you in sorrow, and encourage you in times of strife. I covenant with you and with God to uphold this vow every day of my life, regardless of the circumstances.

Then you said yours:

I love you, Allison, and today is the day that I tell the world that I choose you above all others. As Christ is to His body, the Church, so I desire to be to you - a loving, faithful husband. As Jesus gave Himself up for His church, so I will serve you, putting your needs and desires above my own. Today, I covenant with God and with you to take you as my wife. I will do my best to number my priorities with Jesus Christ first, you second, our children third, and our ministry fourth. I promise to love you with His love, to provide for your needs through His enablement, and to lead you as He leads me as long as He gives us life together, regardless of the circumstances.

Then we exchanged our beautiful wedding rings. I look at them today and see scuffs and scratches on the gold.

Don't worry, Love. Scratches build character. The scuffs are symbolic of our love. We're not perfect, but we're learning more about God and life together everyday. I'm sure there will be many more scuffs and scratches in the future. As long as the Lord is leading us, I say "bring 'em on."

Here's to a hundred more anniversaries with you, My Darling. There are no words to express what you mean to me...

No comments: