Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Breakfast with Toby

I've been at work for 30 minutes and heard the word "sin" 173 times. Toby can only pronounce the last syllable of my name. Tragic, I know.

We're sitting at the breakfast table and Toby feels the need to call my name over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point.

I have no idea what he wants. All he says is "Sin? Sin? Sin? Sin? Sin?"

Then I look at him and say, "Yes, Toby? What do you need?"

He says, "A-dunnnn!" (All done!) and throws his hands up in the air like his favorite football team has just scored a touchdown.

He's not 'all done.' He hasn't eaten anything yet.

So I tell him, "Toby, you're not all done. You haven't eaten anything yet."

He proceeds to make horse noises and scrunch his nose: "Heeeee-haaaaaw! Heeeee-haaaaaaw!"

I say, "Toby, eat. You're going to be hungry when we're playing today."

"Peeeeeeeeeeeeas, Sin! A-dunnnnn! Peeeeeeeeeeeeease!" he whines.

I duck my head behind the laptop screen and giggle. He knows he's cute. "You're not getting down until you eat 3 pieces of banana," I tell him.

"Otay!" he exclaims. He puts one slice in his mouth, pushes the bowl away, and announces, "A-dunnnn! Dowwwwwn! Tank ou (thank you), Sin!"

I'm not sure why he's thanking me...but I'm considering taking him out of his booster seat and giving up on food until lunch time.

Then I sneeze.

And Toby starts "fake sneezing" (his newest thing lately). "Ah-shoo! Ah-shoo! AHHHHHH-SHOOO!"

And now, of course, he's eating. And saying "Sin? Sin? Sin? Sin? Sin?" between every bite.

He hears something over by the laundry room, stops eating, and turns his head. "Sin?"

"Yes, Toby?" I answer.

"Sat, Sin? Saaat? (What's that, Allison? What's that?) Shhhhhh!" he proclaims as he raises his eyebrows.

We listen.

"I think something fell in the laundry room," I tell him.

"Awww main! Awww MAIN! (Ah, man!)" he replies.

Oh my goodness. I've been waiting for the day when Toby would start talking and expressing himself...and now that it's here, I don't know how I lived without his crazy personality and cute little voice.

I could do without having my name called 47 times in a row, though :)

Oh, and by the way, Toby just finished every bite of banana and cheerio in his bowl. Somehow I won that battle...

No comments: