Friday, August 8, 2008

Thank You, TSA

In preparation for our upcoming trip to Oregon (in 15 days!), I've been researching the newest airline regulations for carry-ons. I used to be a world traveler (Romania in 1998 and China in 2000)...but an 8-year hiatus from flying has made my memory a litte rusty. Besides, those darned terrorists have made everything a little more difficult for travelers these days.

This is what I've learned from my research:
  • All gel, liquid, or aerosol toiletries I need to put in my carry-on bag must be 3 ounces or less. They must be packed in a 1-quart zip-lock baggie. Each traveler is only allowed to pack one bag of toiletries. This might become a problem if my airline of choice decides to lose my checked luggage.
  • Gel-filled bras are allowed to be worn on the plane. Lucky me.
  • I am also allowed to bring my corkscrew, knitting and crochet needles, round-bladed butter knife, cigar cutter, transformer robots, and toy weapons onto the the plane. Yesssssssss...
  • I'm NOT, however, permitted to carry my ice axe, ice pick, meat cleavers, saber, cattle prod, crowbar, spear gun, sword, billy club, brass knuckles, or nunchakus onto the airplane. Darn. I guess I'll have to pack all of that stuff in my suitcase.
  • Did you know that items such as firearms, ammunition, BB guns, flares, gunpowder, pellet guns, dynamite, tear gas and hand granades aren't allowed onto the plane, either? Who knew...

Thank you, Transportation Security Administration. Your thorough lists of what I can and cannot bring on my trip to Oregon has helped tremendously. I can't wait to go home and pack!

No comments: