Saturday, August 9, 2008

God Speaks, I Listen...

Isn't it crazy how God uses the most random opportunities to speak to our hearts?

I took this video of the boys on the playground at Latta Park yesterday...



...and as soon as Toby yelled "WHEEEEEEEE!" I thought to myself, "How often do I respond to God's leadership in my life the way Toby responded to his trip down the slide?"

You see, I've had issues with trust for a long time.

I've had my heart broken in the past. I worry way too much. I have a perpetual "what if" attitude. I have a hard time letting God take control of the parts of my life I can't and won't ever be able to control. It's difficult for me to follow God's lead instead of attempting to make my own path.

None of that is pretty, but it's part of being human. Our job as believers is to take God's hand daily, spend time with Him, and seek his purpose and direction for our lives. I'm getting better at it.

When Toby was sitting at the top of the slide asking for help, he reminded me of myself. How many times do I ask God for help & guidance and then find his solution "unacceptable"? When I sent Sam to help Toby, Toby didn't like my solution. However, I knew all along that Sam would take care of Toby and get him to the bottom of the slide safely.

When Sam finally helped Toby move down the slide, Toby enjoyed the trip and celebrated at the end. I tend to do that with God. I kick and scream through the entire journey and then when I see I'm okay in the end, I rejoice. That's not fair to God. He deserves to be praised even when we're scared and uncertain of the future. He promised to take care of us. We should always trust Him.

I love sharing the neat things God reveals to me through the boys. So random, but so sweet...