Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Trip to Urgent Care...

As if I don't have enough craziness going on in my life right now, I had to go to Urgent Care this morning to have stitches put in my right hand.

I'm probably one of the clumsiest people you'll ever meet. I think it comes from trying to do too many things at one time.

I was making pancakes for the boys and unloading the dishwasher at work this morning. I grabbed 2 glasses out of the dishwasher, took them over to the cabinet to put them away on the top shelf, and they somehow managed to shatter and come crashing down upon my right hand.

My first thought was, "Shoot. That was Liz's favorite glass."

My second thought was, "Ewww...is that a bone?" I looked down at my hand to see 2 cuts on my hand; one on the side of my index finger and a deeper one on the palm-side of my thumb. Before it started bleeding, all I saw was white flesh and perhaps a bone.

My third thought was, "I can't deal with this right now. I have too much to do this week!"

Don't forget...I was making pancakes while all of this was happening. The glasses shattered everywhere - on the counters and floor, in the pancake mix, and onto the pancakes I had already made. Everything went into the trash.

I wrapped a paper towel around my wounds and began to clean up the glass. When I realized the bleeding wasn't stopping, I took another look at my fingers and got a little freaked out. I decided to call Liz (she's a doctor) and asked her what to do. She came right home, looked at my fingers and decided I should go to Urgent Care for some stitches.

Here are a few of the highlights from our trip:
  • Sam asked the doctor 538 questions.
  • Toby wanted to run around everywhere...and got very grumpy when Liz wouldn't let him. You would have thought he was the patient by the way he was screaming.
  • Sam thought it was hilarious that I had to get 3 shots of lidocaine in my hand and a tetanus shot in my left arm. Yeah. Very funny.
  • Toby ate almost my entire stash of snacks from the diaper bag. Food always makes the wait go by faster.
  • Liz is a great comforter. She wanted to make sure I didn't have to see the doctor by myself - so she and the boys came with me for moral support.
The doctor put 3 stitches in my thumb, gave me a tetanus shot, and sent my on my way.

Aaron is off today and plans to move everything from our apartment to our new house. He already moved all of the big stuff this morning (thanks, Robert!) but we still have some packing and moving to do tonight. Since I'm supposed to "take it easy" (the doctor said so!), I'll be packing and Aaron will be lifting and moving boxes as well as painting. We'll spend our first night in our new home tonight!

No comments: