Friday, January 25, 2008

It's Official: We're Homeowners!

Closing wasn't half as bad as I imagined it to be! I've heard so many horror stories about the bad things that could happen right before or during the closing of a home, but ours went very smoothly. Thanks to our friends for your prayers and excitement :)

Let me take a moment to give props to our agents Eric Phillips and Larry Hubatka and our mortgage lender Bill Coughlin. They're freakin' awesome.

Eric and Larry did a great job of helping us figure out what was important to us in a house, finding potential properties, showing them to us, taking care of all the tedious paperwork and scheduling, and, most of all, putting up with my never-ending questions and phone calls. Thanks, guys! We've already referred you to lots of people! That means we get a cut of your commission, right? Juuuuuust kidding :)

Bill is awesome, too. Not only is he an incredibly helpful mortgage lender, but he has also become our friend. He's trustworthy, dependable, and just an all-around great Christian guy. Bill met with us 2 weeks before closing to make sure we understood all of the documents we would sign at closing. He didn't have to come with us yesterday, but he did. Bill has done everything is power to make us feel comfortable with the entire house-buying process and we can't thank him enough for it.

It was wonderful to have our "entourage" with us at closing yesterday. Because they did their jobs well, Aaron and I had a great closing and are now happy homeowners :)

Up next: PAINTING. I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories for you on Monday. My mom changed her plans for the weekend and is staying in Charleston...so it's just the kids this weekend, y'all. Hopefully the next few days are more like a really really long party instead of 2 days in Hell. We'll see. I'm trying to be optimistic. The worst-case scenario is that Sunday night rolls around and we haven't finished painting any of the rooms and our new house is unlivable and in complete disarray. Good thing we don't have to be out of our apartment until February 6th!

I know I've been writing a lot about the house lately...so I promise to have more cute stories about the boys next week. Toby has been a lot of fun this week and he's learned lots of new stuff (i.e. blowing kisses, shaking his head "no", running to the kitchen the moment I show up in the morning because he knows I'll give him his sippy cup of milk, etc.). More to come next week...

No comments: