Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oh, The Drama

So I'll catch you up on the latest drama in the Fowler household...

Aaron and I went to our friend Mani's house for a cookout on Sunday night. Mani has a 2-year-old German Shepherd named "Tank" who isn't trained well and is oftentimes extremely aggressive and unstable.

While Mani was cooking hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill and I was preparing vegetables in the kitchen, Aaron and Robert were playing a video game. When I attempted to open the back door of the house to take the vegetables outside to Mani, Tank snarled at me and showed his teeth. I backed off and asked Aaron to distract Tank so I could go outside. Aaron paused his video game, got up from the couch, and took hold of Tank's collar to prevent him from going outside when I opened the door. Immediately, the dog snapped at Aaron's right hand.

When I heard Tank growling and Aaron yelling, I went into panic mode. There was nothing I could do to help Aaron. Robert rushed over to do what he could, but it was too late. Tank had punctured Aaron's right pointer finger, ripped open two of his knuckles, bitten his left thumb and nail, and scratched him in various other places on his body.

Aaron immediately went to the bathroom to wash and evaluate his wounds. I almost passed out when I saw the damage. I seriously thought he might have lost part of one of his fingers. I tried to get Aaron to let me take him to Urgent Care, but he wouldn't go. He said that he would be fine and insisted that all he needed was some rubbing alcohol, gauze, and tape. I doctored him up the best I could and made him promise me that he'd at least go see Liz (my boss who's a doctor) the next morning.

Neither of us slept very well on Sunday night. I woke Aaron up before I went to work on Monday morning and he said that his thumb never stopped throbbing during the night. Toby and I took him to see Liz in Pineville a few hours later and she sent him to see a doctor at Urgent Care. In not so many words, she told him it was stupid that he didn't go to Urgent Care on Sunday night. He needed stitches in his right pointer finger but she couldn't put stitches in it that long after the bite had happened.

The doctor at Urgent Care cleaned Aaron's wounds out really well, put ointment on them, wrapped his fingers in gauze, gave him a tetanus shot, and wrote him a prescription for an antibiotic.

Aaron is doing much better today. The doctor recommended that he not go back to work until tomorrow, so he's had some time to relax and heal. We took the boys to a Charlotte Knights baseball game today and had lots of fun. I'll post the story and pictures in my next entry.

Thanks for your prayers and concern during these past 2 crazy days. We'll keep you updated...

1 comment:

Laura said...

that is awful. Animal Cops would come in and take Tank away if Mani lived in Detroit.