Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vegetable Jambalaya

I cooked the first "real" meal in our new kitchen last night! After searching the Betty Crocker website for new recipes yesterday, I found this one:


Vegetable Jambalaya

1tablespoon vegetable oil
1large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
1medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
2garlic cloves, finely chopped
1cup uncooked regular long-grain rice
1can (14 ounces) vegetable broth
1cup frozen whole kernel corn
2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1can (15 to 16 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained

  1. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
  2. Stir in rice. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is light golden brown. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.


I always double every recipe I make because Aaron loves to eat leftovers for lunch. This also prevents me from having to cook every night during the week. By doubling the recipe, I can usually get away with cooking only 3 or 4 nights each week.

I don't eat red meat (for health reasons...it's a long story), but Aaron does - so I try to cook dishes in which I can add meat to his portion at the end. In a separate skillet, I sliced and cooked a package of Hillshire Farm's reduced fat Smoked Sausage and added it to Aaron's jambalaya before serving.

I love cooking for my husband because he always raves over every dish I make.

"This is the best dinner you've ever made!" he exclaimed last night.
"You say that every time I make dinner," I reminded him.
"Yeah, but I mean it every time."
He's so sweet.

Try the Jambalaya. It's excellent. And quick. And easy.

No comments: