Wednesday, February 27, 2008

6 Quirky Things About Me

About a month ago, my fellow Elevators Marybeth and Erin blogged about quirkiness. Not just quirkiness in general, but 6 quirky things about themselves. At first I had trouble thinking of 1 quirky thing about myself (which is precisely why I didn't follow their lead and blog about it a month ago)...but I've thought of 839 quirky things about myself since then. So I'll share just 6 of them with you:
  1. I absolutely LOVE folding laundry. I know it sounds weird, but I think folding laundry is somewhat of a stress-reliever for me. I should warn you, though - I'm very particular about how my laundry is folded. Ask my husband. I won't even let him help me fold laundry because I'm so psycho about it. The laundry must be straight out of the dryer (warm and wrinkle-free!), organized into stacks once folded, and put away in the proper spot in the closet or drawers.
  2. I frequently eat cereal out of a coffee mug. I think I developed this habit when I was in high school (and it eventually rubbed off on my mom). Instead of sitting down to eat breakfast, I exercised my innate ability to multi-task. Although eating frosted mini-wheats while driving probably isn't the safest idea, it works. One of the first days I stayed with Sam and Toby, Sam saw me eating cereal out of a mug and said, "Mrs. Allison, you're not supposed to eat cereal out of a cup!" And that's precisely why it's quirky, little man.
  3. I'm a reality TV junkie. There. I admitted it.
  4. I have never colored or dyed my hair. I saw lots of girls in high school and college who spent hundreds of dollars every 6 weeks to get their hair highlighted or colored...and I always wondered why they did it. Is it really worth all that money to change your hair color (and then have hideous roots 6 weeks later and have to repeat the process all over again)? Maybe I just don't get it since I have "virgin hair" (as my hair guy Anthony calls it). Don't get me wrong - if it wasn't insanely expensive and labor intensive, I might try it. I plucked the first gray hair from my head at the ripe old age of 15, so I definitely see hair dye in my future. I'm just not sure I'm ready to try it yet. Once I start, I won't be able to stop.
  5. I don't eat red meat. Long story short, I went to Romania on a mission trip when I was 14, became sick with a strange parasite (it took my gastroenterologist 10 months to find it), and it ravaged the inner lining of my stomach and intestines. After taking 8 pills a day for 10 days, the parasite died and could no longer do damage to my body. There was no way, however, to reverse the damage the parasite did in the year before my treatment. In the process of figuring out what was wrong with me, I was put on lots of different diets to determine how different foods affected my GI tract. Red meat, cheese, and fried foods killed my stomach. Solution: I stopped eating them. If you ever have me over for dinner, please don't be offended if I don't eat red meat with you. I'm pretty sure I'd die if I ate it.
  6. I'm narcoleptic. Well, not really...but I like to use it as an excuse when I fall asleep during EVERY movie I attempt to watch. This little problem has gotten worse over the years, too. I used to only fall asleep at movies when I was watching them in the comfort of my own home. Now I fall asleep during any movie, no matter where or at what time I'm watching it (a friend's house at noon, the movie theater at 8pm, a drive-in at Winthrop on Halloween, you get the point). This little tidbit of quirkiness is especially annoying for my oh-so-patient husband who loves to watch movies and wants so badly for me to enjoy them with him. This is probably the only quirky thing about myself I would change if I could.
OK. Now it's your turn. What classifies you as "quirky"?

1 comment:

Marybeth Whalen said...

Loved your list! Thanks for sharing it!