Friday, April 3, 2009

Teachable Moments

So...

Yesterday morning, on our way back from dropping Sam off at preschool in Uptown Charlotte, Toby and I experienced a good ol' fashioned "teachable moment" together.

Let me set the scene for you:

It's 9:40 in the morning and rain has been pouring down for days in Charlotte. I'm driving down the middle lane on 3rd street (one-way heading out of the city) and I'm super-focused on the cars in front of and around me.

Then, I see a light flicker above my head. It's the dome light in the 4-Runner. Which can only mean one thing: A door is open somewhere.

Did the lady who took Sam out of the car at carpool forget to close his door all the way?

Did I not close the trunk hard enough when I put my camera bag back there this morning?

Then I feel wind. And RAIN.

I turn around to see Toby's guilty face and the rear driver's side car door flung WIDE open. Water splashing everywhere, horns honking, Toby laughing.

I was not laughing.

Thankfully, I was able to pull over and close his door before anything catastrophic happened.

And then we had a talk about not touching car door handles.

And then I put the child safety lock on both back doors.

Needless to say, Toby and I both learned a lesson yesterday :)

No comments: