Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hannah Elizabeth

Six months ago, two of mine and Aaron's best friends were blessed with an incredible gift from God. I would like to introduce you to little miss Hannah Elizabeth:

I've been photographing Hannah since her very first days of life and am thrilled to (finally!) be able to share her story and photos with you.

I asked Hannah's Mommy (and one of my best friends in the entire world!), Lindsay, to write a special post about Hannah and the miracle that she is. Without further ado, I give you Lindsay's words:

“Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

I have felt the power of God’s Word to me in this verse for many years. Some of my most vivid childhood memories include children; cousins, neighbors, kids I babysat, my brothers. When I was 13 years old, someone asked me the age-old question; what do you want to be when you grow up?

My answer? A Mom

When asked what kind of man I wanted to marry;

My answer? Someone like my dad

It’s funny, those answers weren’t received well very often; like they weren’t good enough. Want to know the other funny thing? God has blessed me in such a way that almost 3 years ago I married a man just like my dad. He’s a strong Christian, a man of integrity, a hard worker, and an incredibly supportive husband. And for an added bonus; he shared my passion for kids and my dream of having a family. Another bonus? He wanted me to be a stay-at-home mom!!

We prayed for God’s guidance as we began trying to start our family. We prayed for wisdom and patience with His timing and His plan for us (Jeremiah 29:11). We waited. And waited some more…

Well, maybe God had a different plan for us. That happens sometimes, ya know!?!? Quite often we think we know what’s best for us only to be proved wrong by our all-knowing Savior. I’ve started thinking that we are blessed. To have a Savior, a Creator, who cares so much about us to give us only the best… wow!

So after 2 years of prayer, frustration, and more prayer, God blew us away and blessed us abundantly; He gave us our daughter, Hannah.

The day we brought Hannah home is a day that will be forever etched in our minds. It hit us hard; God had been forming this precious life for us, shaping her, shaping us so that we could be prepared for each other; Jeremiah 1:5 says;

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart…”

Man! How much does our Father love us? As we looked into our newborn daughter’s eyes, we knew that He loved us more than we will ever be able to imagine. As excited and as thankful as we were for God’s answer to our prayers, we were also hit with an overwhelming sense of responsibility. He was trusting us to guide her in His Word, to help her grow and become a godly woman, to support and encourage her, and to pray for her daily. What a privilege!

From the day she was born, Hannah was a testimony to more people than you or I could ever hope to impact. Hundreds of people including immediate and distant family, friends, and pastors prayed for us, for Hannah. They lifted us up with encouraging words, notes, voicemails, and emails. They celebrated with us the day she was born, cried with us when we brought her home, support us to this day, and love Hannah like she was their own.

Allison and her husband, Aaron, are two people who have walked with us through our journey to starting our family. We met them 2 years ago in our small group at Elevation and have since walked through engagements, new jobs, weddings, and much more with them. They have laughed, cried, and prayed with us. When it came time for Hannah’s first photos, there was no doubt in my mind who we were going to name as Hannah’s official photographer!

If you haven’t met Hannah, let me give you a glimpse of the sweet girl who has and will continue to impact people. I cannot possibly convey to you the electric personality and sweet nature of this child but I am hoping that through Allison’s beautiful pictures and my few details, you will gain some insight into the specialness and uniqueness of this incredible 6 month old.

Hannah has a contagious smile. Actually, her whole body smiles! She wants nothing more than to make friends wherever she goes; restaurants, walks around the neighborhood, the grocery store, or church. If you don’t make eye contact with her, she will scream and yell happily until you do, and then you will be rewarded with her sparkly smile (I have yet to see someone who can keep from smiling back!).

At 6 months old, Hannah has a keen perception for emotion. She seems to know when someone is sad, happy, mad, or just tired. She is also, as her Papa would say, “very advanced!” She rolled over at 2 months old, sat up on her own at 4 months old, and now, at 6 months old is trying desperately to crawl! We’re going to have a busy one on our hands in the next few months, for sure!

Oh! One more thing; Hannah LOVES her daddy! My favorite time of the day is when he gets home from work and she hears the garage door open. She gets so excited and jumps and squeals until he comes in to pick her up and the look on his face… priceless!

We count every day with Hannah a blessing. Every time I start thinking that my plan is better than God’s, He reminds me in a very subtle way, that He always has my best in mind. All I have to do is look at our precious miracle daughter and I rest comfortably knowing that I am in good hands!

Thank you, Allison, for perfectly capturing Hannah’s lovable personality in every precious photo that you take of her! We love you more than you know, Aunt Allison! :)

One Month

Two Months

Three Months

Four Months

Five Months

Five Months (couldn't choose just one!)

Six Months

Thank you, Joey and Lindsay, for sharing sweet Hannah with Aaron and me. She has brought so much joy to our lives and we're so honored to be a part of your family and watch her grow. You are amazing parents and we can't wait to see what a Godly woman she becomes. Here's to raising cute, smiley, drooly babies together (someday :) )! We love you.

P.S. - Watch Hannah grow here :)

No comments: