Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Five-Year-Old Photography

My wonderful friend Tonia had the best idea for a play date today:

Give Cooper and Sam one disposable camera each, teach them how to take their own photographs, drop the cameras at a one-hour developing center, and let them each make a poster with their printed photos.

Great idea, huh?

I gave each of the boys a 27-exposure Fuji Film camera and taught them how wind the film, look through the viewfinder, and press the shutter button. After Sam and Cooper took their first photos, they immediately asked to see their photographs. I tried to explain that the cameras were film instead of digital, but I'm not sure they really understood. They don't remember the days before digital cameras...and that makes me feel really old :(

Anyway...we walked down to a little lake at the Arboretum and the boys snapped away. Tonia and I taught them basic photography skills (framing the subject, landscape versus portrait photographs, foreground and background, shooting from different angles, etc.) and encouraged them to photograph lots of different objects.

Film has always been my favorite form of photography and I couldn't wait to see what the boys came up with. Because you can't peek at the photos until they're developed, there's a sense of mystery and excitement that goes along with shooting film.

What do the boys see through their viewfinders? Do they have an "eye" for photography? Do they enjoy photography enough to learn how to use a real camera one day?

The boys' photos did not disappoint. Both Sam and Cooper got some great shots! Here are three of my favorites that Sam took:



Pretty good for a five-year-old! I think he might have "the eye"... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son has talent! :) What a great idea.

Because of Love said...

Tonia does have good ideas!

I too am impressed with his skills. Love that last one!