Friday, October 3, 2008

Love and Respect

I had a great talk with a really good friend this week about the cycle of love and respect in marriage.

Women need to feel loved. Men need to feel respected. Without both elements present, the cycle doesn't exist. If a wife doesn't respect her husband, he won't want to show her love. If a husband doesn't show love to his wife, she won't want to respect him. See where I'm going with this?

My friend ended our conversation about marriage with two important questions to think about daily:
  • What does this relationship need from me? (instead of "What do I need from this relationship?")
  • Am I always speaking to my husband with respect?

It's crazy how such a simple concept can be so difficult to practice sometimes.

Aaron and I don't pretend to have it all together. We're still pretty new at this marriage thing and sometimes have to work really hard at being loving and respectful to each other.

We're so blessed to have friends and family who are willing to share their experiences and wisdom with us. It's exciting to think that one day we'll be able to share our own little bits of Godly wisdom with newly-married couples who are just beginning their life-long journey together :)

However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. -- Ephesians 5:33

No comments: