Thursday, December 20, 2007

House-Hunting Day #1

Soooo...Aaron and I went house-hunting yesterday with our friend (and agent) Eric! It was a lot of fun to walk into a house that could potentially be ours in the future, but it was also stressful for me to see everything that needed to be done to make that house a "home". Although we've already been pre-approved for a mortgage, I'm still really nervous about making such a huge investment. When something leaks or breaks or goes awry in our future house, we can't just call the landlord to come fix it. Owning a home is a big responsibility but I'm sure the benefits will greatly outweigh the downfalls.

We viewed 3 houses in Charlotte yesterday, only 1 of which was a real possibility. We liked that one, but it was a bit smaller than we were hoping for. It was, however in an awesome location. Food, shopping, friends, and church were either across the street, down the street, or less than 5 minutes away. Maybe we could sacrifice space for more convenience and less travel time...

We had also hoped to view 2 houses Eric had sent us in online listings for Fort Mill. Since he needs to take care of some paperwork in order to show us those houses (because they're in South Carolina instead of North Carolina), we weren't able to go inside those homes yesterday...but Aaron and I did a quick drive-by after we finished with Eric. One of the houses was really tiny, but the other one was a gem (from the outside, at least). The Fort Mill house has a lot more space for just about the same price as the homes we were looking at in Charlotte...and the yard is ideal for us. We called Eric immediately and asked him how soon he could get us in there. We're going to look at it tomorrow at 12:40pm. Aaron and I are about to burst with excitement and anxiety.

I think Eric could sense that I was getting a bit overwhelmed yesterday...not because we weren't seeing houses we loved...but because I'm a habitual worrier. I'm always thinking, "What if?" or "How can we possibly make this happen?" You know what? We won't make it happen. But God will. If Aaron and I are meant to buy a house in the near future, everything will go smoothly and work out just fine. I can't let Satan creep into my head and ruin a process that's supposed to be lots of fun for Aaron and me.

I asked Eric if looking at houses was like trying on wedding dresses. I don't know if he could relate, but I think he knew what I meant :) Will I know immediately when I walk into the house that it's the one we want to buy? Will I have the we-must-buy-this-house-now-or-I-think-I-might-die attitude? He says it doesn't always work like that. But he's never tried on wedding dresses, either. We'll see when we go to the Fort Mill house tomorrow.

Thanks, Eric, for taking time on your BIRTHDAY yesterday to show Aaron and me a few houses! We think you're awesome at what you do and we really value your time, opinion, and skills. It means a lot to us that you're looking out for our best interests and guiding us through this process we know nothing about! You rock :)

I got a lot done on my day off yesterday. I wrapped some presents, cleaned the apartment, did some baking, treated myself to a manicure and pedicure, house-hunted, baked some more, and hung out with my husband. Pretty good day if I may say so myself :)

No comments: