Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gorgeous Garden

What do you do when your daughter gets married and your son goes off to college? Plant a garden!

When Aaron and I arrived at my parents' house in Charleston, SC a few Thursdays ago, my Dad started telling us about a garden he had planted a few weeks before. When he walked us outside (at 10pm!) to show off his hard work, Aaron and I were blown away. I always knew my dad liked to work in the yard...but THIS was incredible!

The first thought that popped into my head was, "Wow! I can't wait to take pictures in the morning!" SO...on my only day to sleep late in the past 3 months, unable to keep my brain from turning on at 7am and anxious to see what was growing in the garden, I got out of bed, crept downstairs in my pink pajama pants, and trudged through the muddy aisles of vegetables with my freshly-pedicured feet.

Beets

Radishes

Marigolds are planted throughout the garden to attract ladybugs. Ladybugs are beneficial to a garden because they eat the aphids that are responsible for destroying crops. Remember the story of The Grouchy Ladybug? :)

My dad built the fence around his garden with his own two hands for a little more than $100.

One of the many things I love about my dad is that when he decides to do something, he does it with excellence. He spent 2 weeks digging up a 35'x20' plot of THICK St. Augustine grass with a shovel. The rows in his garden are PERFECT. There isn't a weed to be found. He even lined the fence with rocks that he dug out of a nearby flower bed.

And this, folks, is what a cat looks like when she sniffs your fisheye lens. So cute! (This is Angel, one of my parents' 3 cats).

So, anyway, after seeing my dad's garden, I told Aaron that I wanted a garden.

It only took him three tenths of a second to say "no"...and to be completely honest, I can't really blame him. I definitely didn't inherit my parents' green thumbs and it seems like every plant I touch turns to dust. Or sticks. Or whatever. (Remember this little disaster???).

I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through my dad and his beautiful garden. I can't wait until the vegetables are ready to harvest! I may not be able to grow vegetables, but I sure know how to eat them!

No comments: